Monday, August 13, 2012

Its a Jungle Out There.

As I take in the smells of hecticness of Haiti, I reflect on our long journey to this unfamiliar place.

We began the day by waking up bright and early at the "normal human time" of 1:45 AM. As we packed up the van and picked up some of our fellow team members we drove to the airport and unloaded the van along with our 20 stuffed donated suitcases. Check in at the airport was going smoothly. Bags were being checked and passports and boarding passes were being distributed in a fashionable time. BUT, there was one slight bump in our "airport road". Jack's passport unfortunately was considered "denied" because it was accidentally put through the washing machine. Thankfully there was a solution. Jack has been issued a new passport and will be joining us tomorrow! WOO HOO! (: 

So as the other 14 of us continued our journey through the airport, all went well. When we landed in Miami we were on a "strick" time schedule as we only had so much time to stop and get a bite to eat and head off to our next flight. But as it turned out, our flight from Miami to Port-au-Prince was delayed, giving us just a little more time to sit down, eat, and relax a little. On the plane ride to Haiti we filled out our green cards and customs sheets, tucked them safely in our passports and were on our marry way. Of course that was very time consuming, so any hope of getting a quick hour nap in before landing in Haiti was taken away.

As we entered the customs building in Haiti, there was a small band of 5 guys standing off to the side playing their hearts out. It was interesting to hear their music compared to the music I listen to when I'm at home. It was very inviting and calmed my nerves quite a bit. Going through customs in Haiti wasn't too bad of an experience. There were a few "pushers and shovers", but that was okay to handle. As we finally were all through the line and got our bags all together we made it to the parking lot where we met Nick driving the tap-tap. Although we did have 12 people in the back with all of our checked bags, carry-ons, and backpacks, it actually was not too crammed. 

The tap-tap, for those who don't know what that is, is a like a truck with a secured room on the back where you can see through the gated walls and look at what Haitian life looks like. This is the vehicle we will be riding in all week! 

Arriving at the house now, we unloaded the tap-tap and separated our luggage. We then walked into our house and smelt a very welcoming smell of TACOS! They were very tasty. A little more tastier than my mom's I would have to say. Although I love her taco's too. :D We settled into our rooms and then ventured the house a little bit before dinner was done. It is a very nice house. There are even puppies here (: I think I am so excited about the dogs because one of them is named 'Bacon'. And bacon is my favorite food group! *I wish* 

And now as I blog, the team is sorting through our donation suitcases and separating everything out. It has been a very long day to say the least, but it looks like a bright and adventurous week is ahead of us. 

I would like to share the verse that has been heavy on my heart today. It is Samuel 16:7 (NIV) "But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does NOT look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." I think this week God has really called me to be here in Haiti to realize that the "things" I have will not make me worthy of his love. If I thought that, I know I would be a coward. But to see the Haitian people live on so little yet still be so full inside is what I want to inspire me. I know I have been feeling an "emptiness" inside of me for the last couple of weeks. And I know that the beautiful and amazing Haitian people will show and give to me exactly what I need to fill that "emptiness". It's ALL in God's glory that I have the privilege to be here. So to that I thank the Lord. 

I hope that all of the families at home are finding some comfort in knowing we have ALMOST all made it safely. Enjoy the blogging and don't hesitate to tell us what you think (: 

Glory to God. Glory to God. Glory to God FOREVER! 

God Bless,
Shelby

3 comments:

  1. So happy to hear you have all "almost" made it to Haiti! Thanks for sharing the news about "Bacon". Our kids can't quite understand the culture and politics surrounding Haiti but they understand puppies and were excited to hear that mom had puppies where she was staying. Take your full hearts and empty them out on the people of Haiti...we've got things covered back home. God Bless you all! Love, Chris, Abby and Zach Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glwapou Bondye pou tojou! Amen Shelby.

    ReplyDelete