Thursday, August 16, 2012

Intruding?

Today not only did we visit the elders, but we also went  to the Mass gravesite where over 150,000 people were buried when they lost their lives in the January 2010 earthquake.  As we all jumped down from the tap-tap (this is the truck we are transported in daily) I noticed there were Haitian people there at the site.  I don't know why, but this struck a nerve for me.  I wondered what they thought of us being there.  Had they lost family members who were buried here and did they feel we were intruding on their sacred ground?  Once we had all gathered around the memorial we held hands and prayed.  The Haitian people there also joined our circle and prayed with us (we did have a interpretor there to translate our prayer).  I'm glad they prayed with us and understood our prayer, but I still question how did they feel about us being there? 

No comments:

Post a Comment