Friday, August 10, 2012

Are You Ready?

As I sit in my bedroom and look at all of my possessions, I'm wondering if I should just throw them all away and start fresh. I can honestly say that half the clothes in my closet and dresser I haven't worn in over a year. But when I sit on my bed and draw in my sketchpad I don't really think about all of my possessions. I think about the image I have in my brain and how I am going to portray it on the blank page in front of me.

Being an artsy person is fun. You get to be the "creative" one of the group. People will come to you and ask what you think about their drawings, style of clothes, hair style, make-up, poetry, anything really because you are the "creative and artsy" person. If you can't make it look unique, nobody can.

In less than three days, I will be getting on a plane and going to Haiti. Now you may be wondering why the two paragraphs before have any importance in this adventure I am about to take. Well let me explain. I can honestly say I don't NEED most of the things stored in my bedroom. Heck, I bet some things I just bought because my friends thought I would be cooler if I had it. I think that will be part of my Sunday "to-do's" and probably part of my "post Haiti trip". As far as my second paragraph, I think that if God can help me do his work, I am pretty "creative and unique" in his eyes and I think that is all that REALLY matters. He will always help me portray the exact image on the blank page, in my sketchpad and in my life.

Although some of my friends think I am out of my mind going on this trip, I think it is going to be a fantastic start to a year I will never EVER forget. While they are thinking about trying to get a boyfriend/girlfriend, job, money-- materialistic things-- I will be thinking about how I can better serve God and spread his word.

For the past couple days the only question that has been running through my 17 year old head is, "Am I really ready for this?" And with the courage and strength of God inside of me, I know I am. I just hope my friends, family, and teachers will be ready for the changes they will see in me throughout this next year.

 <---- Amen to that!

God Bless. 

1 comment:

  1. You are ready whether you know it or not Shelby! God is going to help you throughout this. You will go through everything without a problem, because He will give us the strength to make it through it. He will not put anything in our paths that we are unable to handle.

    I love you Shelby, and I cannot wait to start this adventure with you! :)

    ReplyDelete