Saturday, January 21, 2012



 

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Getting prepared for this journey!

It's packing day! Our team is getting all of our supplies that we are donating sorted and packed today. All of our families are going to have some bonding time as well. It will be fun to see the kids getting into helping get everything in it's place. It is very exciting to see all that has been donated to help the beautiful people of Haiti. I am excited to hand our 'pillow case' dresses to the children of Haiti. They turned out beautiful! I am thinking we should've made some for ourselves to wear down there when we go to church! (Maybe next time). :) I am also excited to teach the children of Haiti how to care for their mouths. We have lots of fun things in store for them.

As I have been trying to prepare myself for this journey that I am about to take, I have been doing a lot of self reflecting. I have been reflecting on how much I personally take for granted in my day to day life. I try not to be that kind of person, but I know that our society has created that in us innately. More is better, bigger is better..etc. As I have been reading the Healing Haiti site and learning more about Haiti, I wonder how is it that a country can be so poor and have such little resources. Did you know in colonial times, Haiti was a richer country than the USA? Strange, huh? I sometimes wonder why God allows poverty. I also wonder how God allows such greed. The contrast is puzzling to me. I know deep down it is to teach his people lessons about how to live a more God like life. To be thankful for the things you have (big or small). Still, it's not fair!

I can say that at first, I was SO excited to take this journey. I got super caught up and excited in collecting items and raising money. Now that the time is getting closer, I am fearful!! I am fearful of stepping outside my 'box'. I am worried about, what if I get sick, what if something terrible happens to me or our team, what if I can't stomach the food, how am I going to change and see the world on a much different level and finally, how am I going to let go of my control issues and let God truly work through me? My answer, I HAVE FAITH!! I have to have faith that God is going to allow me to do his work in the way that he feels fit. I know he won't place before me anything that he doesn't see fit for us to see or experience. I know that he is going to give me the strength to hold those sick and dying babies and love them up the best I am able to. I know he will see all of us through. He is so great!

So, as our awesome team prepares to depart, please keep us in your prayers daily. Please know that prayer is so incredibly powerful! With all the people I have in my life that love and care for me, I know I am blessed. Thank you! God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment