Each night, we are asked to share our word of the day. It is one word that is to capture our entire day. Today, my word was contrast.
- The contrast between the beautiful people of Haiti and the tents and shacks where they live. The children clung to our hands and loved to be held...their smiles shine at me every time I close my eyes.
- The contrast between the scenery of beautiful mountains and ocean views while standing in trash and human feces.
- The contrast between my frustration at Hannah's class size while looking at the Haitian school where classrooms are the size of my kitchen and 50 children learn together.
- The contrast between my luxury this evening of being able to shower and sit in front of an air conditioner while the children I held and loved will be sleeping on dirt floors.
- The contrast between the meal of rice and beans that filled my stomach while remembering the distended stomachs of children waiting on the water lines.
- The contrast between the sweat of the day from playing in the streets with children or the sweat this evening from learning to Salsa dance.
Healing Haiti Team Member